By Stewart Goetz,Charles Taliaferro
- Packed with arguments for and opposed to more than a few diversified, traditionally major philosophies of the soul
- Addresses the fundamental matters, together with mind-body interplay, the causal closure of the actual international, and the philosophical implications of the mind sciences for the soul's lifestyles
- Includes assurance of theories from key figures, comparable to Plato, Aquinas, Locke, Hume, and Descartes
- Unique in combining the heritage of principles and the improvement of a strong case for a non-reductionist, non-materialist account of the soul
Read Online or Download A Brief History of the Soul PDF
Similar consciousness & thought books
Fredrik Svenaeus' ebook is a satisfaction to learn. not just does he convey willing realizing of quite a lot of subject matters and figures in either medication and philosophy, yet he manages to deliver them jointly in an cutting edge demeanour that convincingly demonstrates how deeply those major fields could be and, after all, has to be jointly enlightening.
This sequence will comprise monographs and collections of reviews dedicated to the research and exploration of information, details, and information processing platforms of all types, regardless of no matter if human, (other) animal, or desktop. Its scope is meant to span the total diversity of pursuits from classical difficulties within the philosophy of brain and philosophical psychology via matters in cognitive psychology and sociobiology (concerning the psychological services of alternative species) to principles on the topic of synthetic intelligence and to laptop technological know-how.
To what quantity does sleep represent a restrict for the philosophical mind's eye? Why does it recur all through philosophy? what's at factor within the repeated relegation of sleep to the world of physiological research (as in Kant, Freud and Bergson), in favour of marketing the severe research of goals and dreaming as a key indicator of modernity?
An alarming variety of philosophers and cognitive scientists have argued that brain extends past the mind and physique. This booklet evaluates those arguments and means that, commonly, it doesn't. A well timed and proper research that exposes the necessity to strengthen a extra refined idea of cognition, whereas pointing to a daring new path in exploring the character of cognition Articulates and defends the “mark of the cognitive”, a standard experience conception used to differentiate among cognitive and non-cognitive procedures demanding situations the present acclaim for prolonged cognition concept via serious research and via declaring fallacies and shortcoming within the literature Stimulates discussions that might enhance debate concerning the nature of cognition within the cognitive sciences
- Beyond Reduction: Philosophy of Mind and Post-Reductionist Philosophy of Science
- Theory and Practice: Nomos XXXVII (NOMOS - American Society for Political and Legal Philosophy)
- Dark Matter of the Mind: The Culturally Articulated Unconscious
- Utilitarianism: For and Against
- Unser täglicher Wahnsinn: Nachrichten aus der Zukunft (German Edition)
Extra resources for A Brief History of the Soul
A Brief History of the Soul by Stewart Goetz,Charles Taliaferro