By Raymond Hickey
A Dictionary of types of English offers a accomplished directory of the unique dialects and different types of English spoken in the course of the modern world.
- Provides a useful creation and advisor to present learn developments within the field
- Includes definitions either for the varieties of English and areas they function, and for terms and concepts derived from a linguistic research of those varieties
- Explores vital examine concerns together with the transportation of dialects of English, the increase of ‘New Englishes’, sociolinguistic investigations of assorted English-speaking locales, and the examine of language touch and change.
- Reflects our elevated information of worldwide sorts of English, and the advances made within the learn of sorts of the language in contemporary decades
- Creates a useful, informative source for college students and students alike, spanning the wealthy and various linguistic types of the main greatly authorized language of overseas communication
Read Online or Download A Dictionary of Varieties of English PDF
Similar linguistics books
This concise yet wide-ranging monograph examines the place the stipulations of binding idea practice and in doing so considers the character of word constitution (in specific how case and theta roles follow) and the character of the lexical/functional break up. David Lebeaux starts off with a revised formula of binding conception.
The Oxford guide of Cognitive Linguistics provides a entire evaluate of the most theoretical thoughts and descriptive/theoretical types of Cognitive Linguistics, and covers its a variety of subfields, theoretical in addition to utilized. the 1st twenty chapters provide readers the chance to obtain a radical wisdom of the elemental analytic innovations and descriptive types of Cognitive Linguistics and their historical past.
Winner of the SAGE/ILTA e-book Award 2016The Routledge instruction manual of Language checking out will supply a accomplished account of the realm of language review and trying out. Written via best experts from world wide, this quantity brings jointly nearly 35 authoritative articles (around 8000 phrases each).
The ebook is anxious with a hitherto underresearched grammaticalization method: the improvement from quality-attributing adjective to determiner within the English noun word. It takes a bottom-up procedure, in keeping with large synchronic and diachronic corpus reviews of six English adjectives of comparability: different, diversified, similar, exact, comparable and similar.
- Studies in Lexical Phonology: Lexical Phonology: Volume 4 (Phonetics and Phonology)
- Kashmiri: A Cognitive-Descriptive Grammar (Descriptive Grammars)
- Language and Mobility: Unexpected Places (Critical Language and Literacy Studies)
- Re-assessing the Present Perfect: Corpus Studies and Beyond (Topics in English Linguistics [TiEL])
Extra info for A Dictionary of Varieties of English
A Dictionary of Varieties of English by Raymond Hickey